NASHVILLE MARKETING BLOG: Insights on strategic branding, marketing management, general business and Nashville marketing topics. By Monica Powers, Vanderbilt MBA and marketing consultant in Nashville, TN.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Adventures in Rebranding: Louisiana-Pacific

Until Lousiana-Pacific Corporation relocated their headquarters to Nashville in 2004, I had never heard of the company. Unless you work in construction, you may not have heard of them, either. Their raison d'etre is selling very industrial-sounding products to the building industry, so they probably care very little about becoming a household name, right?

Now picture this specialized business-to-business player dropping $30 million to "brand" itself by naming... a football stadium. The Tennessee Titans' Coliseum, no less. My first thought was: can't you find a more targeted way to reach builders with that kind of marketing budget? Aren't sports-related sponsorships better left to the big consumer goods companies?

Turns out this company does more than just sell to the industry, and they are determined to correct my perception--and that of the general consumer.

The sponsorship is part of a larger rebranding effort at Louisiana-Pacific (who now prefer to be called by a catchier name, LP). They are softening their sterile, industrial persona to appeal to you and me, the homebuying, home remodeling, Home-Depot-cruising choose-it-yourself public. Or at least they seem to be.

This will probably make a lot more sense to me after I hear it from the company's Marketing VP himself, at the Nashville AMA luncheon this week. More to come.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris Houchens said...

Hey Monica...

Don't you think they've "de-branded" themselves with the LP? I heard the Collesium being referred to as LP Field for weeks before I figured out what it meant....and I'm actually trying to pay attention. What about the great un-washed massses who don't care one way or another?

I think your first instinct was right. there's lots better ways to spend $30 million on brand developement than stadium naming rights. I'll be interested to see what you hear at the AMA.

September 05, 2006 9:39 AM

 
Anonymous CK said...

Hmmm. I had the same reaction to you (better ways to spend the big bucks), but presenting themselves in a better light to their client's customer is an interesting strategy. Do let us know what you find out from the VP--this is a good one to follow.

Thanks for the good thinking.

September 06, 2006 11:42 AM

 
Blogger argos said...

The naming of stadiums, arenas and bowl games is fascinating to me. From a marketing viewpoint, I guess one really can "buy game" if one can afford it. Wells Fargo recently purchased our new arena name, now called "The Well" but they have invested heavily in other ways here in Des Moines.

I am curious if LP has invested in other ways in Nashville previously and let us know what the leader/lunch is like.

September 07, 2006 7:37 AM

 
Blogger rama said...

Hullo! Just discovered your blog. I'm running a small enterprise, a niche business, with a long established "brand", that is well know (in the niche). So I look forward to learning a lot from your blog archive and ongoing posts. Best, rama

September 08, 2006 5:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home