NASHVILLE MARKETING BLOG: Insights on strategic branding, marketing management, general business and Nashville marketing topics. By Monica Powers, Vanderbilt MBA and marketing consultant in Nashville, TN.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

An Old Favorite Reinvented

Admittedly, I was kind of a weird kid. I spent many an hour thumbing through my older brother's hardbound copy of Roget's Thesaurus, enthralled by the way a single word could launch a myriad thoughts, one bundle of letters at a time. All the concepts fathomable to the human mind were expressed in the pages of this book, strung together in a frighteningly finite and rudimentary order. When I went away to college, I sneaked that dogeared book into my duffel bag along with my few precious earthly possessions. I use it to this day.

I don't know that my brother ever missed his handy reference tome, but if he ever did, I would point him to the online version of the
Visual Thesaurus. While not as satisfying to page through as the old-fashioned kind, this is a fascinating tool for anyone who ideates for a living, whether in marketing or literary occupations. It's also a fruitful way to kill time. And, at $19.95 for an annual subscription, well worth the investment. Better yet, it's much harder for your little sister to swipe.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Roger von Oech said...

"Admittedly, I was kind of a weird kid. I spent many an hour thumbing through my older brother's hardbound copy of Roget's Thesaurus"

I love it: I used to do that with maps in encyclopedias and memorize the population statistics (yes, strange as well).

As great as on-line tools such as the Visual Thesaurus are, there's nothing quite like having a friend you can hold in the palm of your hand --a trusty reference book.

Best wishes,

Roger von Oech

November 20, 2006 3:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home